Will I have to pay N.I. if I'm a Maltese resident but work abroad?

The EU enforces the principle that a person is insured in the country where he/she exercises his/her occupational activity. This principle applies to employed and self-employed persons alike, even if they reside in the territory of another country or their companies or employers are situated in another Member State.

When Maltese nationals go to work abroad in a country that does not form part of the EU, they may upon presentation of the Employment Contract and a declaration that they will maintain their residence in Malta, request to pay NI contributions every three months.