Covid-19 Parent Benefit Scheme
The Government re-introduced the Parent Benefit Scheme to financially assist working parents employed in the private sector and are not able to work from home.
Persons eligible are:
- Parents of children under age 16;
- Parents working full-time or part-time in the private sector;
- Do not have teleworking/possibility to work from home;
- Not attending work and are on unpaid leave to take care of their children between 15th March and 11th April 2021; and
- Employer is not receiving the Wage supplement on their behalf.
Persons not eligible are:
- Employees working with private companies, and who provide a service in a Government department or entity.
What are the benefits:
- Net direct payment of €166.15 per week for full-time employees or €103.85 per week for part-time employees. Social Security contribution will be paid by the government.
- If entitled for Children allowance, the rate will be adjusted taking into consideration the new income earned and this may increase up to the maximum rate of €24.08 per week per child;
- If entitled to the In Work Benefit, this will continue to be paid without deductions; and
- If entitled to the Tapering of Benefits, this will also continue to be paid without deductions;
How to apply:
Fill in and submit the application https://socialsecurity.gov.mt/en/information-and-applications-for- benefits-and-services/grants-bonuses-and-schemes/covid-19-parent-benefit/ . You also need to provide a declaration from your employer which shows that you cannot work from home, you are on unpaid leave and your employer is not receiving Wage Supplement on your behalf. This declaration is to be uploaded in the dedicated area of the online application.